In this post I describe the work that I’ve done until the end of August in the context of the Debian LTS team. This month I was allocated 20.25h and during this time I did some uploads, tested some packages provided by another member of the Debian LTS team, and added some extra information about some packages.
php5: During this month I claimed php5 twice and did two uploads. In the end of the month Raphael Hertzog notified me that I shouldn’t do that because php5 has many security updates during a month and we want to release updates a bit less often. Now I am aware :) Basically I fixed these two CVEs:
CVE-2017-11628: A stack-based buffer overflow in the zend_ini_do_op() function in Zend/zend_ini_parser.c could cause a denial of service or potentially allow executing code. NOTE: this is only relevant for PHP applications that accept untrusted input (instead of the system’s php.ini file) for the parse_ini_string or parse_ini_file function, e.g., a web application for syntax validation of php.ini directives.
CVE-2017-12933: The finish_nested_data function in ext/standard/var_unserializer.re in PHP is prone to a buffer over-read while unserializing untrusted data. Exploitation of this issue may have an unspecified impact on the integrity of PHP.
These security issues are fixed in versions 5.4.45-0+deb7u10 and 5.4.45-0+deb7u11 respectively. This was my first time handling security issues in a package of such importance for many users, so I spent a lot of time testing it. I tried it with many web applications such as drupal7 and wordpress.
krb5: I really like this work because I’ve learned a new thing everyday, MIT Kerberos was one of them. Basically, it is a system for authenticating users and services on a network. You should take a look if you are interested in this kind of service ;) I fixed the following CVE in this package:
- CVE-2017-11368: An authenticated attacker can cause a KDC assertion failure by sending invalid S4U2Self or S4U2Proxy requests.
augeas: This is a configuration editing tool. It parses configuration files in their native formats and transforms them into a tree. Another new package for me, but it is not so useful in my daily work. The CVE bellow was fixed by me:
- CVE-2017-7555: Heap-based buffer overflow due to improper handling of escaped strings. Attacker could send crafted strings that would cause the application using augeas to copy paste the end of a buffer, leading to a crash or possible code execution.
tenshi: This is a log monitoring program, designed to watch one or more log files for lines matching user defined regular expressions and report on the matches. Seems that upstream is not so active anymore because it does not have a new release for some time (all the Debian suites have the same version of this packages since wheezy). However, they released a fix for this security issue:
- CVE-2017-11746: Tenshi creates a tenshi.pid file after dropping
privileges to a non-root account, which might allow local users to kill
arbitrary processes by leveraging access to this non-root account for
tenshi.pid modification before a root script executes a
kill 'cat /pathname/tenshi.pid'command.
- CVE-2017-11746: Tenshi creates a tenshi.pid file after dropping privileges to a non-root account, which might allow local users to kill arbitrary processes by leveraging access to this non-root account for tenshi.pid modification before a root script executes a
wordpress: This is a well known and full feature web blogging tool used world wide. I usually have a lot of fun with this package and this time was not different. Upstream released a patch that fixes the security issue in the latest version and I backported the patch to apply in the wheezy one. The current system redirects requests using hooks which is not available in the wheezy version, so I needed to go deep in the code to understand what was going on. It was a nice hacking! I fixed this CVE:
- CVE-2017-9066: There is insufficient redirect validation in the HTTP class, leading to SSRF.
connman: The Linux Connection Manager project provides a daemon for managing Internet connections within embedded devices running the Linux operating system. I did not have plenty of time to play with this package, but I provided a fix to the following CVE:
- CVE-2017-12865: Stack-based buffer overflow in “dnsproxy.c” allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) or execute arbitrary code via a crafted response query string passed to the “name” variable.
These were my uploads during August related to Debian LTS. Moreover, I tried to help with other kind of tasks:
git-annex: I claimed this package but I realized that I could not apply the upstream patch that actually fixes the CVE-2017-12976 in the wheezy package. I am not a Haskell expert but this patch changes several SSH modules that do not exist in this old version. In the end, I was not capable to check whether this package is affected by this CVE. I unclaimed the package and provided some information about what I saw for future work.
irssi: The irssi’s maintainers were notified almost three months ago about some security issues in wheezy, and one of them said that they are not very important and would do the upload with the fixes. So, I pinged them again because I did not see any news about that. In short, I will prepare an upload with the required fixes for jessie and wheezy versions. This will be part of my work in September.
thunderbird: Guido Günther provided some Debian packages that are fixing some security issues in thunderbird and asked for some testing. I installed them and got a try, did some basic tests, for example: configure an account, create folder to filter emails, receive and send emails, create tasks and use the calendar. As I am not an advanced thunderbird user, I could not do more advanced stuff :) I sent a report to him.
Well, this was the summary of my activities in the Debian LTS team in August. See you next month :)